Monday, February 24, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? Book Review: Inhuman

Inhuman
Title: Inhuman (Book 1 in the Fetch series)
Author: Kat Falls
Publication Date: September 24, 2013
Publisher: Scholastic
Genre: Fantasy, dystopian
Pages: 384
Age Rating: Readers over 13
My Opinion: 5/10

Hi, Readers!

Monday
       For this It's Monday! What Are You Reading?, hosted by Teach Mentor Texts, Book Journeys, and Unleashing Readers, I chose to review a book that you should not read.  I used to think that a book would be "good" because it has an interesting concept, but reading Inhuman, by Kat Falls, has shown me that writing style and characters are much more important.  Inhuman has a creative plot line, but that is its only saving grace. 

       Lane McEvoy lives peacefully on the safe side of an enormous wall that seperates civilization from the Feral Zone, filled with savagery and disease, and she has no interest in discovering why the wall was built in the first place.  However, when her father is discovered as a known criminal who has crossed the wall numerous times and survived, Lane is forced to take drastic action in order to clear her father's name.  She has to enter the Feral Zone in order to find her father,getting help from friends such as a thief, Rafe, and a soldier, Everson.  However, Lane is forced to confront the truth about what is actually in the Feral Zone, and her discoveries sure aren't pretty.

Never let them tame you
A standout quote from Inhuman
       When I started reading the book, I immediately became confused.  Lane was hanging out with friends that I figured would be other main characters, but then they completely disappear from the book after a couple of chapters.  Then, as soon as Lane crosses into the Feral Zone, she starts remembering these weird childhood stories that her father used to tell her, and the stories miraculously help her to survive.  It seems to me that Kat Falls threw the stories in as an afterthought, and they do not seem coherent.  Later, the author introduced these completely unexpected mutated humans that have somehow mixed their DNA with that of animals... The book's story line is very choppy and hard to follow until about halfway through.

       Frankly, the characters were not very pleasing, either.  Lane seems weak and she gets captured by the antagonist a number of times.  On top of that, she has to wait for Rafe and Everson to save her every time she is captured. Plus, Everson and Rafe are extremely stereotypical - the upstanding citizen-soldier and the bad boy thief.  Yawn.  On the other hand, the novel's antagonist, a human-tiger mutant named Chorda, is quite freaky and pops up in the most random of settings.

       Inhuman does have one thing going for it - Kat Falls is not afraid to take drastic measures such as killing off characters.  Most authors hesitate to kill off main characters so that readers are not upset, but I was pleased that Falls took the risk because it increased the suspense throughout the novel.  Also, I am happy with the ending of the book because, although it is the first in a series, almost all of the plot elements were wrapped up nicely.  
       
       To put it simply, Inhuman is not a book that you should spend your time reading unless you read as much as I do.  It was very choppy and incoherent, and the characters were obnoxious.  I'm actually disappointed that Inhuman wasn't well written because I've enjoyed other Kat Falls novels.  I did enjoy the story as a whole, but not enough to recommend Inhuman as more than a 5/10.  Needless to say, I will not be anxiously awaiting its sequel.

Happy reading and have a great Monday!
Katie

6 comments:

  1. Haven't heard of that one. Bummer that you didn't enjoy it. Hope this week brings you happier for you reads!


    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admire your honesty, Katie! Usually when I read a book that I don't like, I don't write anything about it, but your post does many readers a great service! Thanks! I won't be buying this one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that this was a disappointing read. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie, thanks for sharing your candid thoughts about the novel. Very refreshing. Here's hoping that your next book will be a better read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a very confusing read. :( Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts - I will give this book a miss. I hope you enjoy your next book a bit more!

    P.S. I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award :D For details, click here

    Witless Fool @ Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Katie! I've nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award! :)

    http://thereadinghedgehog.blogspot.com/2014/03/liebster-blog-award-nomination.html

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to ask questions or say whatever is on your mind.