Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Top Ten Favorite Beginnings/Endings In Books

Hi, Readers!

Top Ten Tuesday
       Today, The Broke and the Bookish blog asked readers to create a list of the "Top Ten Favorite Beginnings/Endings In Books".  Each and every successful novel draws readers in with some type of interesting introduction.  A well-written introduction is one that leaves readers questioning what will happen next.  However, some books draw readers in faster than others.  Also, almost every novel ends in a way that ties up all of the plot's loose ends.

       I have to say, the most prevalent literary device used to draw in teenage readers to young adult novels is humor.  Every one of my favorite novel beginnings uses humor to make me laugh and want to read more.  On the other hand, most endings are somber and wrap up their respective novels in a serious and complete way.  It is much rarer to find a novel with a good ending than a good beginning.

Below is a list of my ten favorite beginnings (7) and endings (3) of Young Adult novels.  Click on the name of any book title for a link to that book on Amazon.  Feel free to comment about your favorite book beginnings and endings or to agree/disagree with my choices!

Beginnings:

Millicent Min, Girl Genius, by Lisa Yee
"I have been accused of being anal retentive, an overachiever, and a compulsive perfectionist, like those are bad things.  My disposition probably has a lot to do with the fact that I am technically a genius.  Unfortunately, this label seems to precede me wherever I go."

Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow
"I'm a senior at Cesar Chavez High in San Francisco's sunny Mission district, and that makes me one of the most surveilled people in the world.  My name is Marcus Yallow, but ack when this story starts, I was going by w1n5t0n.  Pronounced 'Winston'.  Not pronounced 'Double-you-one-enn-five-tee-zero-enn' unless you're a clueless disciplinary officer who's far enough behind the curve that you still call the Internet 'the information superhighway'."

Airhead, by Meg Cabot
" 'Emerson Watts', called my first-period Public Speaking teacher, Mr. Greer, startling me from the light doze into which I'd drifted.  Well, whatever.  Do they really expect us to be alert at eight-fifteen in the morning? Come on."

Entwined, by Heather Dixon
"An hour before Azalea's first ball began, she paced the ballroom floor, tracing her toes in a waltz.  She had the opening dance with the King... who danced like a brick."

Gone, by Michael Grant
"One minute the teacher was talking about the Civil War.  And the next minute he was gone.  There.  Gone.  No "poof".  No flash of light.  No explosion."

The Lost Hero, by Rick Riordan
"Even before he got electrocuted, Jason was having a rotten day."

Dream Factory, by Brad Barkley and Heather Hepler
"I wasn't at all surprised when Cinderella gave me the finger."

Endings (Spoiler Alert!):


Life As We Knew It, by Susan Pfeffer
"A while ago Jonny asked me why I was still keeping a journal, who I was writing it for... But today, when I am 17 and warm and well fed, I'm keeping this journal for myself so I can always remember life as we knew it, life as we know it, for a time when I am no longer in the sunroom."

The Princess Diaries, by Meg Cabot
"Wow.  There is so much I don't know about Lilly's brother.  Like he used to be a juvenile delinquent!  Could a computer-genius-slash-juvenile-delinquent ever be interested in a flat-chested princess like myself?  He did save my life tonight (well, ok: he saved me from possible community service).  It's not a French kiss, or a slow dance, or even an admission he's the author of that anonymous letter.  But it's a start."

Uglies, by Scott Westerfeld
"Tally smiled.  At least she was causing trouble to the end.  'I'm Tally Youngblood,' she said.  'Make me pretty.' "

So there you have it - awesome beginnings and endings from some of my favorite Young Adult novels.  Feel free to check out these books at your local book store or library.  As you can tell from their intros and conclusions, these novels are great summer choices.

Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you included Meg Cabot quotes, I really liked her Airhead and Princess Diaries series! :) My TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.com/2013/07/29/lines/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good list, I especially love the beginning of The Lost Hero and the end of Uglies as well.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to ask questions or say whatever is on your mind.